Fall for Dance

After watching the opera on the first night, I had higher expectations for the Fall for Dance. I liked watching dances, and looked forward to watching the dance performances. To my surprise, Fall for Dance was not how I anticipated it to be. Out of the four acts, I only enjoyed two of them. Fall for Dance began with Three Movements by the company Rafaela Carrasco. Once the performance began, I was instantly intrigued by the woman’s voice. The woman’s singing sounded more like cries, and was not like the melodic music I’ve been accustomed to hearing. This piece felt long and boring, until the dancers came on stage. Their tapping and their swift movements stole the show. I was amazed by their footwork, and how well it coped with the music playing.

The second act was the “Red Angels” performance by the New York City Ballet. This ballet dance was better than the youtube video we watched in class. The flexibility and agility of the dancer’s movements were incredible, and their red color scheme was creative. The ballet was interesting, but what caught my utmost attention during this dance was the violinist.  Her violin performance matched the dance very well, and it was so great that I thought it was a recording at first.

Next was the “Duet” by Bill T. Jones and the Ernie Zane Dance Company. This was my least favorite dance. In this act, the dancers were trying to mirror one another’s movements, but the background audio was like a dialogue. To me, this performance did not fit well together and I didn’t understand the purpose of the dance.

Last but not least, came the last dance: “ID:Entidades” by Companhia Urbana De Dance, which is shown in the picture. This dance was more of a modern, contemporary dance. Each dancer shared the same costume of wearing black and having an afro. At the beginning, I was impressed with the choreography of the dance, but as the dance progressed, my interest slowly diminished. It was my favorite dance, nonetheless, but I felt that it was too long.

I anticipated Fall for Dance to be better than Rigoletto, because personally, I enjoy watching dance more than singing. However, I was wrong. Even though I only liked two of the dances (“Red Angels” and “ID:Entidades”), it was still interesting to watch the various types of dances.

Posted: December 7th, 2010
Categories: Fall for Dance, Lily Wen
Tags:
Comments: No Comments.