The Break of Noon

Although I was sore about having to stay late in the city after school, I was actually pretty excited about seeing “Break of Noon.” After attending an opera and a dance festival, a theatrical play would be a welcome change as this type of art is easiest for me to understand and interpret. Also, David Duchovny would be playing a lead role and I was eager to see the star of X-Files, one of my favorite shows from my childhood, in person.

The play was performed in Lucile Theater, which is located in West Village. Upon arriving, I was instantly surprised at its appearance. The theater is rather small and plain, and easily blends in with its surrounding environment. I did not think that Hollywood stars such as David Duchovny or Amanda Peet would perform at such a venue.

The play captivated me from the very first second and kept me interested until the very end. The dramatic loud noise and bright lights at the start of each scene created suspense and produced the feeling that the audience was being put into the very heat of the action in every scene. Although I prefer going into any performance completely unaware of what I will see, I will indulge those of you who would rather have some background information.  The play follows a less-than-perfect man who alleges that he saw and was saved by God during a violent attack on his office building by a mad assailant. After this holy experience, the main character, John Smith, goes on a quest to spread the message of God, which is “to be good.”

My favorite aspect of the play is that, although its general theme is somewhat clichéd, it presents a new spin on the idea of man seeing God. John Smith is the last person one would expect to have a holy experience, as he is a man guilty of many sins, such as adultery. However, he stays true to his cause, even in the face of mockery from others.

At first, the ending of the play seemed pretty straightforward. However, as I walked out of the theater and began discussing the play with my classmates, I realized that it could be interpreted in many ways. Such endings often point to successful works, as it means that people were genuinely enthralled by the content of the play and were kept interested throughout the entire performance. I know I enjoyed the “Break of Noon” because I could not stop talking about it for the entire train ride home.

Posted: December 7th, 2010
Categories: Dima Selivanov, The Break of Noon
Tags:
Comments: No Comments.