X Fil-… The Break of Noon

When I found out that we had to watch an off Broadway show called “Break of Noon,” I wasn’t exactly in the best mood. As I asked around, I found out that the play was going to have both David Duchovny and Amanda Peet in it, my spirits were lifted a bit. I grew up watching David in X-Files, and I remember seeing Amanda in 2012.

As I got to the theatre, I didn’t notice anything special about it. It wasn’t an upscale place or a run down theatre, but just your average, every day, small theatre. As I walked through towards my seat, I had no idea what to expect. The only thing I knew about the play were the actors and the title.

As I anxiously waited the play to begin, I remember being surprised by a loud banging noise. Through the bright lights, I saw David sitting at the center stage. I didn’t really know what he was talking about, but I was actually a little disappointed in his acting. It seemed forced and over exaggerated, but I still found it to be interesting. I guess he wasn’t as effective on an off Broadway play as he is on TV.

One thing that stuck out to me as I watched the show was that there were constantly bright lights and really loud noises. It kept me awake and added to the overall tension of the play.

When Amanda Peet came on stage, it struck me that there were two really famous actors standing just a hundred feet away from me in this little theatre. I thought it was pretty awesome that we had the opportunity to be able to watch these plays, for free at that. What I found interesting was that I was more impressed with the performances of the unknown actors. John Earl Jelks and Tracee Chimo, both of whom I had never heard of before, completely nailed their lines and kept me into the plot for the entirety of the play. Not to mention, John Earl Jelks was beyond hilarious. Without their spectacular performances, I wouldn’t of enjoyed the play nearly as much.

As the play came to a close, what I noticed was that we had very different perspectives on what the ending meant. This, to me, was the sign of a good play. I liked knowing that what I thought about the ending may or may not be correct, and that the ending promoted conversation and reflection. After we got outside, a couple of us actually waited for David Duchovny and Amanda Peet to come out and we even got to take a few pictures with them. It was a great experience, and a great night.

A David Letterman interview with David Duchovny from October 16th. Learn more about David’s experiences regarding the play!

Posted: December 7th, 2010
Categories: Sami Khan, The Break of Noon
Tags:
Comments: No Comments.