Brooklyn We Go Hard!

“I Love to Beat You” by  Dorothy Ionnone 1969-1970
Exhibition: Seductive Subversion: Women Pop Artists 1958-1968

This was a very explicit painting and the artist herself is famous for her psychedelic and erotically-charged work. In this painting the woman is in power and in control of the man sexually which is often not how men are portrayed to be. The title pretty much suggests that this is also about domestic violence. The woman has the genetalia of a man, which suggests that the artist wanted to switch the roles of the sexes, where women are the superiors. This is meant to make people uncomfortable which is always exciting, but also create room for discussion on the sensitive topics that this piece might bring up.

“Triptych II (Beach Girl)” by Marjorie Strider 1964

This piece captures three almost identical poses of a pin-up style bikini model with 3D breasts. It almost humors the typical one-dimensional sexuality that is portrayed in the Pop culture; clearly the breasts always grab the viewers attention, but now its exaggerated and looks in a way pornographic. Both of these works of the exhibit try to bring attention to the experiences and expectations of women in the 60’s and 70’s.

Posted: December 8th, 2010
Categories: Brooklyn Museum, Tanya Shtrauh
Tags:
Comments: 1 Comment.
Comment from Vacation - January 28, 2016 at 5:22 pm

“I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” — Robert Frost