MoMAlicious

I love the MoMa for its’ photography but I appreciate photography in general, which is why I chose these two photographs. This first one is called “Nan One Month After Being Battered” by Nan Goldin taken in 1984. At the age of 31 this woman still had a bloody eye a month later after being brutally beaten. She is facing the camera head on and her expression is composed or perhaps hardened; the contrast too, brings out the red and drags our attention to her lips and eyes.  This sends a powerful message about domestic violence. It’s brave of her to put this picture on display, since most women are embarrassed and don’t speak out against this ongoing issue.

This photograph is called “Nice”. It was taken by Lisette Model in 1938. This photo I found to be a bit humorous because of her unusual clothing style and body type. I haven’t seen many photos like these, but it seems that Model was trying to capture the reality or perhaps another side to the story. As this picture was taken during the Great Depression, the photo itself does not reflect the conditions of the time period. Instead this woman is overweight which suggests that she is not starving nor without a shelter. She seems pretty comfortable, except the sun in her eyes which ironically captures her with a bitter expression. Behind her are cars and buildings which don’t really say much about the Depression. Her expression alone might be the truth behind this picture after all.

Posted: December 8th, 2010
Categories: MoMA, Tanya Shtrauh
Tags:
Comments: No Comments.