Medicine as a Culture

Medicine as we (Western society) know it is a field where every illness and disease has a natural and purely scientific cause. We use this notion to find out the definitions, etiology, and possible treatments and cures for the disease. However, despite our perception of this as a fact, we are just one culture among the many that exist and each with their own perceptions of diseases and illness, many of which would appear completely nonsensical to western views. This discrepancy in beliefs often creates conflicts in the medical world as it becomes very challenging for one culture to understand another culture and find a middle ground so that both parties feel quality care is being given.
As a result, patients may not receive the best care and treatment due to miscommunications, incompliancy of patients towards medical instructions, and even unwillingness of medical professionals to hear their patients out completely. My research will focus on the manifestation of Bengali culture and beliefs in regards to medicine and how it is viewed by both western society and Bengali society. My aunt may be a prime example of someone who believes they are sick for no real illness, but as a product of her cultural beliefs. I want to explore how the beliefs in this particular culture develop conflicts in terms of health and wellbeing and the root causes of it. The resources that will be beneficial to me would be anything relating to health care in Bangladesh, their different cultural views (both related to medicine and not), and how these views may lead to perceived illnesses that otherwise may not exist. Also helpful would be sources about other cultures that have misconceived ideas about illness as a result of culture.