The Longest Minute Ever

In Jonathan Safran Foer’s Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close the main character, Oskar Schell, continually remembers the day of September 11th 2001, and the phone messages that his dad left. This really made me remember that day in my life. I was in 3rd grade and had the day was going as normal. Then suddenly the mood of every single teacher in the building changed and kids were being pulled out of to go home about every five minutes. Eventually our teacher told us that the twin towers had been hit by a plane and had collapsed. I didn’t know that much about the city but did remember my dad once telling me that he worked close to the twin towers. I immediately got extremely nervous and asked my teacher what happened to buildings near the twin towers. She told me that she didn’t know. About 5 minutes later I was called to go down to the office. I remember everything about the image of me collecting my bags and walking down to the office. I kept thinking my mom would be standing there crying and telling me that something happened to dad. I didn’t know what to do, I thought about just running away. The walk to the office from my classroom was about a minute to me on that day it felt like a lifetime.   Thankfully my father was ok and when I saw him later that night i hugged him for 5 minutes.