Men Become More Like Women?

Stephen Holden’s review on “Ah Men! The Boys of Broadway!,” is a informing review that brings insight to readers who have watched the show or plan to. He gives readers background and references within the show, allowing the audience to obtain a better understanding on things they might have missed out on. Throughout the show, the protagonist Betty Buckley had sung songs that were revised for the show, such as the centerpiece Hymn to Her (revised from Hymn to Him), and made references to other shows on Broadway and their songs. This was to bring out Ms. Buckley’s idea of how women can be like men as she takes on different male singing roles from different Broadway shows.

I believe that Holden has written a wonderful review that not only informs readers, but also persuades them to consider watching the show. His review gives readers information for a better understanding of the humorous scenes in the show that they might not have caught on. This would be a great review for me if I decided to go see this Broadway show, because I would not have understood what was funny because of the different references that were made. Also, all the information given would allow me to go look it up myself, as he gives names of the songs and composers, so I would better understand the references. This is why I believe Holden has a well written review.

This entry was posted in Fresh Paint by Sharon Lin. Bookmark the permalink.

About Sharon Lin

Hi! My name is Wai-yu Lin, but I go by the name Sharon. I love going to different places, trying different foods, and meeting new people. I like to cook and swim on my free time. I enjoy watching television shows and Asian dramas.

7 thoughts on “Men Become More Like Women?

1. Yeah, I hate not understanding references to things whenever I watch a show. I like how Holden is considerate enough to realize that not everyone will understand these references because people of different ages watch Broadway shows. This review sounds like it was beautifully written, with the added information about the play and the persuasion he puts into it.

2. I definitely agree with you. I believe it is important to write a review where the majority reading it can understand the references made and the overall context. If a review contains an overflow of foreign references and information, many readers will be unimpressed and not feel compelled to view the work of art described. Also, presenting the reader with background and historical information is more often than not a key to a great review- in my opinion.

3. i also agree that reviewers who fill us in on these references allow us to better understand the plays and allow us to fully appreciate the plays. If i were to watch this play, this review would be something i would most definitely read before watching it.

4. I totally agree with you guys. I hate having trouble understanding certain parts of a review due to the lack of information or historical context. I believe that Holden draws the readers in by providing references that make the play easier to grasp and understand.

5. I agree with everyone that Mr. Holden’s review is well written and as someone who is not familiar with Broadway history, I would definitely need this information if I am to enjoy the show.

6. Ahh, i forgot to comment last week.
    Like everyone else, the information Holden gives is superb, but when I read the review. Some of the references went over my head. I think that its possible to overdo references and clutter the review for a less experienced theater goer