Outdoor Orchestra

On Saturday October 8, the Brooklyn Philharmonic performed in the Bedford-Stuyvesant area of Brooklyn. However, this was not a regular performance. The orchestra performed outdoors, amid the sounds of the subway and cars, and was joined by rapper Mos Def in their performance.

The Brooklyn Philharmonic does not have a permanent home, so its director, Alan Pierson, has decided to put on three performances each in a different area of Brooklyn, catering to each neighborhood’s style. The other two events will be held in Brighton Beach and downtown Brooklyn.

I think that this is a wonderful idea. More people would go to watch the Philharmonic playing outdoors than in a concert hall. I also think its pretty cool that they performed with Mos Def. Rap and classical music sounds is a very interesting concept that I would like to hear. The combination of fresh air and unique music definitely makes the Philharmonic more interesting.

7 thoughts on “Outdoor Orchestra

1. When are the other two events taking place?? This sounds so cool! Classical music is playing a huge role in rap now which I find so amazing. These two genres are so different but yet they work so well together to create great music. I immediately thought of Kanye West when I read your review!

2. This is awesome! I think this is exactly what will give a new vibe to music; not to mention performing outside in the open air with all the sounds of the city. It definitely creates a unique atmosphere where everyone can be inspired and get a taste of the new generation of music.

3. At first, I thought that the atmosphere of the performance would distract the audience. How could one enjoy a piece with car sirens and train whistles present? Then it dawned on me that the intensity and volume of each piece would negate the incoming noise or diminish its power to the point where a car siren would act as an extra note, pulsing with the music. I would love to check the scene out myself and attend one of the preview concerts!

4. This sounds very interesting. Firstly, I really think that the combination of rap and classical music can be an excellent combination. Secondly, I like how they are combining music with the environment surrounding them . The atmosphere has the ability to alter the sound of the music.

5. This is a very innovative idea that will definitely produce unique music, maybe this will turn into a trend. I can’t wait to go and hear them play!