All about Figaro

There two versions of The Barber of Seville, the opera and the play, are ultimately the same thing in terms of plot. Everything takes a similar, if not the same, route like the way the Count dresses in disguise to meet Rosine, how Bartolo is trying to maintain his plan to marry Rosine, and how the Count ends up with Rosine instead. There are slight differences in terms of the execution of these actions where in the opera, the Count threatens the notary with a gun instead of bribing him with money. That action changes the Count’s character from the play.

Character was one thing that greatly differed from opera to play. Just like how the Count’s character slightly differed from the play, Figaro’s character also differed. The Character of Figaro was more pronounced in the opera and his role is more prominent. Figaro was just a supporting character in the play, with the main character being the Count but the opera changes that. The whole beginning scene (which was not in the play) is even dedicated to Figaro. I feel as if the opera was centered around Figaro and now, the title makes more sense to me.

The opera showcases Figaro’s singing more and the musicians in the opera appear more frequently than the chorus did in the play, making the whole thing more musical. Instead of just Figaro being the musical one like it was in the play, the whole cast is now singing and it seems more interesting to me. Because of the more musical tone of the opera, the lines are shorter and are more to the point, making for an easier and quicker read. I find myself wondering how this all sounds.