Fashion and Music

A gifted pianist, Yuja Wang captures the audience not only with her music, but also with her sense of fashion. A young lady of 24 years old, Ms. Wang would have a different idea of what to wear to a recital in which she stars in. So at her Hollywood Bowl event, located in Hollywood known for its’ glamor, Ms. Wang decided to go with a bright orange, body hugging dress. This daring outfit stirred up a big commotion afterwards. Many people thought her dress was inappropriate and thought it would lower her image. That is understandable, but I think Yuja is free to choose whatever she wants to wear as she would have thought about how it would affect her before she wore it.

With her wonderful skills that show how great a pianist she is, I don’t think what she wears should have any affect on her image as a pianist. Actually, I think it’s wonderful that she dresses in what she wants and in something appropriate for the location of the event. In her event at Carnegie Hall, she wore a simple black dress with black shiny stilettos. Tommasini mentions and describes the pieces she plays with so positively that I would consider attending one of her performances. What I loved about his review is that not only did he love her music, he states that he was unaffected by her wardrobe and that he does not see anything wrong with what she wore. This just goes to show that people are making a big deal out of nothing.

This entry was posted in Fresh Paint by Sharon Lin. Bookmark the permalink.

About Sharon Lin

Hi! My name is Wai-yu Lin, but I go by the name Sharon. I love going to different places, trying different foods, and meeting new people. I like to cook and swim on my free time. I enjoy watching television shows and Asian dramas.

5 thoughts on “Fashion and Music

1. This was quite interesting to read. But I disagree with you musical performances on stage are affected by the musician’s attire, movement, and expression. The whole ensemble should be complementary and if it is striking, it should have a deeper meaning. Tommasini’s descriptions emphasize the positive side of her artistry but he fails to be critical despite what others find lacking in her wardrobe.

2. Wang should not be censured or criticized for her taste in wardrobe. Everyone is entitled to his/her own sense of self expression and if Wang feels comfortable in the dress, who’s to judge? Her “unabashed cool” gives the event some flavor and excitement. Besides, as Tommasini writes, “If you’ve got it, flaunt it.”

3. I totally agree with you. Wang should not be judged based on what she wears. I believe that her music should speak for itself and her appearance should have nothing to do with it.

4. I believe that a person’s wardrobe during a performance should not take away from the talent itself. If anything, it adds to her performance, offering a feel of spunkiness to her recital. This uproar over Wang’s orange dress is silly; the focus should be on her talent instead.

5. This is a very interesting take on a performance- taking into consideration appearance and dress. I would have to agree with you and say that what one wears does not necessarily reflect their particular talent. However, I do believe that if you will perform in front of hundreds of people, you should present yourself in the manner you would like to be seen as. If you choose a bright color, like orange, it may come off as too out of the ordinary for a piano recital. However, like all else in the world, sometimes it is about sticking out and being unique.