Be smarter

According to the average person, I am Chinese or maybe even Japanese. I eat noodles, I eat rice, and eat sushi. I am the same as every other slant-eyed individual. I am Asian. Yet, I think its not that bad. Racism is obviously a problem, but honestly, stereotyping is not as harmful as much as before.

As a Vietnamese person, my ethnicity is not the most well known. Every new person I meet in school, on the streets, or even at a conference, asks me if I am Chinese. I do not blame them. As our society grows, I actually feel less individualistic and more in common with any other person around me. Sure, culture is important, but am I really different from the other Asian people? I demonstrate the same values, eat the same foods, and enjoy the similar activities as many other Asian cultures.

I think that stereotypes are less potent in our society when we a lot more sources of entertainment that are not afraid to touch on these topics. Satire and comedy embrace the stereotypes of Asians, Blacks and Whites, but they let us laugh.The problem is when the ignorant take these ideas and take them literally. This is when racism occurs. We can no longer laugh at the comments and rather be offended and this is why the stereotyped are so defensive. In all seriousness, I just wish that people were a little less serious and could take a few jokes and let them stay as jokes. All cultures are unique in their own way, but as a group of people in a society, I think its possible to share our cultures without conflict. Being a bit smarter in our words and in our actions can save everyone a bit of emotional pain.

Cultural misinterpretation is just interpretation that missed.