First world problems

In Lizetter Alvarez’s article, Soy Diet Is Cruel and Unusual, Florida Inmate Claims, Eric D. Harris, serving time in a Florida prison for sexual battery on a child, is complaining about the prison diet. Harris says that the soy-based turkey dogs and sloppy Joes served are “cruel and unusual punishment”, a violation to the eighth amendment. He claims that the soy-based prison diet is a health concern to his immune system and body, causing a thyroid problem. Apparently, he is not alone. Nine other inmates in an Illinois prison also filed a similar lawsuit in 2009; the lawsuits are still pending. A soy-based diet is a lot cheaper to make, rather than a diet rich in chicken and beef.

I think Harris’ complaints are ridiculous. There are people living in poverty and on the streets and this guy, a guy who committed a felony, is complaining about his diet. Some people would love to consume this diet and be gladly endure what Harris calls “cruel and unusual punishment”. Prison inmates are given a choice of choosing the soy-based diet, a vegan diet, or a diet of food you can buy with your own money. If Harris has such a big problem with the soy-based diet he has now, why can’t he just change his diet? He is lucky to be getting fed. I understand that even prison inmates have rights, but this guy sexually assaulted a child. If I had it my way, he would not be eating any sort of meal at all.

3 thoughts on “First world problems

1. I agree with all of your opinions! (Especially the last one.) If he has the right to choose what he wants to eat already, why is he complaining about it. It’s not like the prison is forcing him to eat that type of meal. Sure he’s a human being like every one else, but he still committed a crime and should be reflecting on it and changing his ways instead of complaining about how the food is bad. Like you said, there are people in poverty who aren’t being fed and he is. I think there is something extremely wrong with that picture.

2. I agree with you Anna and Sharon! The whole point of prison is to take away freedom from people who committed crimes while still allowing them their basic rights. He is given the food he needs in order to survive and at least he has some choices. Like Anna said, some people in the world are living in poverty and can’t get any sort of food. Of course he still has rights, but this man deserved to lose choices like this after his crime.

3. I totally agree, criminals have committed horrendous crimes yet expect to have suitable living conditions while in prison. However, it could be argued that it’s torture if you give criminals poor living conditions.