The City So Nice, They Named It Twice

From the mere age of six, my infatuation of New York City has gradually heightened to immense peaks, and quite frankly, I don’t think it’ll ever stop growing. E.B. White’s Here is New York is nothing but a work of art; literature that not only exemplifies the pulchritude of one of the world’s capital cities, but also reminds people of why New York City is such a unique place. It only takes White a measly seventeen pages of incredible diction, pathos, and tone to epitomize the potency New York City has to offer, which is why I think White is a literary artist.

White tells his readers, ” New York is the concentrate of art and commerce and sport and religion and entertainment and finance, bringing to a single compact arena the gladiator, the evangelist, the promoter, the actor, the trader and the merchant” (696). I really liked how White introduced one of this key points with this statement. It represents the wide array of concepts and institutions that are present in this large city. I feel like this is the reason why millions of people around the world venture to New York City. So many people see the plethora of opportunities one prestigious city has to offer and they jump at any opportunity that is given to them. When White says this, it instantly reminded me of the Statue of Liberty and her representation of New York City’s land of opportunity and freedom. I remember learning about the vast immigration to New York City during the late nineteenth century and how the immigrants had a sense of relief when they arrived to New York City because they finally felt liberated from hardship.

Statue of Liberty seen from the Circle Line ferry, Manhattan, New York

On page 696, White tells his readers about the variety of places he has been to in the city. By implementing the literary device of repetition, he consistently uses the term “blocks” to symbolize how a vast amount of remarkable events have occurred in the city in such a proximate manner. I think its really interesting how White includes this paragraph in his work of art because it convinces readers that New York City is always alive and the most interesting events can occur just a couple of blocks away from someone.

Later in his story, White says, “Many of its settlers are probably here merely to escape, not face, reality” (698). This sentence really connected to me personally because for the longest time, even today, I saw New York City as a place of glitz and glamour. I would hear about all these stories of the wealth and celebrity life in New York City and I would be swept away by the bright lights and ravishment of such a complex city. I’ll never forget the one time I took the train to the city by myself and walked around aimlessly for hours; hours that resulted in multiple breathtaking moments. It was a day that really altered my perception on the city, only to pull me closer to its allurement. One sight that I will never forget was the Brooklyn Bridge at night. Viewing the vast variety of colors as it reflected off the East River left me speechless.

brooklyn-bridge-at-night

Lastly, when White says, “The Consolidated Edison Company says there are eight million people in the five boroughs of New York” (707), the first ideology that popped into my mind was diversity. Diversity is a concept that I revolve around; almost like a second religion that I respect and revere immensely. Growing up in a very diverse community, I was taught to respect everyone, regardless of their color, background, or orientation. Reading this line reminded me of how grateful I am to be embraced by the notions of diversity, and attending college in one of the world’s greatest cities will surround me with such rich and unique cultures. Also, reading this line reminded me of a picture I first saw in elementary school, and it reminded me of one of my first life lessons, which was to treat others, no matter who they are, the way I want to be treated. Here is the picture:

diversity

After reading Here is New York, I was reminded of how lucky I am to be living in such a rich and diverse city. Towards the end of his masterpiece, White alters the tone by mentioning some of the unpleasant aspects of New York City. As much as I was disappointed to read those lines, I also realized that at the end of the day, New York City will always have an everlasting conjuration on me. There are so many opportunities that New York City has to offer, as well as so many brilliant places to be found.

So, my advice not only to myself, but to the rest of you guys, is to get out and explore New York City… because eventually, we will discover some of life’s greatest treasures amidst The Concrete Jungle.

new-york-city