The Place Like No Other

I have lived in Queens, New York since the day I was born. However, in my almost 18 years living here I have never experienced a hundredth of the excitement New York has to offer. When reading E.B White’s essay “Here is New York” it really reminded me of the adventures I’m missing out on.

When White speaks about the different types of New Yorkers, one particular type spoke out to me. “Second, there is the New York of the commuter- the city that is devoured by locusts each day and spat out each night.” (698). At first, I was thinking “What is a locusts.” This was the result…

SCHISTOCERCA GREGARIA

I think I’m going to have nightmares about that disgusting creature.

Second, I thought about the idea of how these creatures must move, in and out, creepily, sneaky, without regard. I am guessing that is how most commuters are like, particularly me. I come into the city everyday, stop on 3rd avenue and 34th street. I walk quickly, navigating through the slow walkers, to Baruch and go straight to class. At the end of the day I swarm the streets with countless commuters, just to catch the bus home. Out of the whole city I’ve only seen maybe 20 or so blocks. That’s minuscule compared to what really goes on in the city. As White puts it, I basically discover  “…nothing much about the city except the time of arrival and departure of trains and buses…” (699). That’s all I really do. I’m not that good at it either. I either end up missing the bus, chasing the bus, or finding myself on the wrong bus. I also feel slimy in away. I use the city when I need it and then leave when I’m done. I don’t even visit outside of my needs nor explore the untold adventures I could be having. It’s like when we have that one relative you go to see when you need something and then you don’t talk to them until you need something else.

Another thing that provoked some sort of emotion was when White wrote “…New York is… constructed to absorb almost anything that comes along without inflicting the event on its inhabitants.” (697). If you think about it, that is a 100% true. It’s not like in the suburbans when you breath, your next door neighbor is already spreading the gossip about you. What happens in Gramercy you would barely hear about in Harlem. It makes me feel so small and insignificant. There are so many people in the city, jam pack full of individuals and communities in communities.

(I couldn’t find this video without music.)

I also find it kind of peaceful in a way. In my community everyone knows everything about everyone. In the city you can remake yourself and be a completely different person. The city makes me feel free in a sense. You have the freedom to be whoever you want, just as long as that new person doesn’t break the law. If they did, that wouldn’t be that great of a new identity.

One thing White writes “…skirts of the girls…are ballooned by the breeze…” (705) reminds me of the Marilyn Monroe picture, as shown below. That almost happened to me once. I was standing over a grate, the train under me passed, and I was in a polka dotted dress. That wasn’t a fun experience. The breeze felt fantastic though.

2

Finally, there is one thing that White wrote that left an ominous and creeped out impression. When White wrote “A single flight of planes…can quickly end this island fantasy…”(710). It’s crazy how this essay was written in the 1940s and yet it can accurately reflect New York City, 60 years later. How could White have even guessed such a historic event in American history? It definitely left a huge impression on the city. This “island fantasy” was forever changed and the mark of fear hangs over the city everyday. Even this year coming up I am very anxious to be coming to the city on 9/11.

Overall this essay invoked various emotions, ranging from awe to fear. White reflected on New York in a way, even now, has me thinking how much there is I can explore. Baruch isn’t the only thing in New York I can explore. Now all I need is less homework and I can actually go explore more.