New York City: Tough as Nails; Buzzing with Beauty

New York City is a tough place to live in; it requires a strong stomach, a good attitude, and a durable will. E.B. White uses vivid imagery to show New Yorkers how tough the city they live in is while relaying to outsiders the true strength and perseverance of New York. The note E.B. White includes about  the Empire State Building I feel is the most powerful and defining image of New York and its history. The fact that the mighty skyscraper was built in the depression reveals the city’s prosperity and resilience. The Empire State Building is not just a famed icon, it is a symbol representing how New Yorkers overcome various challenges. White mentions how the building had a plane hit it, lightning strike it, and people jump off it. The tower still stands however, ready to take on what life throws at it for many more years to come, just like the New Yorkers who see and pass by this icon everyday.

The image in my head of the Empire State Building still standing after lightning strikes could be likened to this tree that is still standing even after a powerful shock.

New York City is also a cultural hub and one of the most powerful cities on Earth. An island filled with fashion, monuments, museums, and universities surely must be at least a decent place to live in. E.B. White suggests quote for a New Yorker by writing “It’s a wonderful place, but I’d hate to live here” and I totally could not disagree more with that (White 702). This is a wonderful place and I love to live here. Going to college and studying four years in the city will be one of the greatest experiences and opportunities in my life. The way everything comes together, all the people, neighborhoods, and buildings is just simply magical. The buzz that is emitted from street musicians, feet hitting the pavements, cars honking, and dozens of languages speaking create a symphony that can only be played and heard in NYC. I look forward to at least another 4 years in this city and hope to discover more and more as I go along in my journeys here.