“Yesterday’s the past, tomorrow’s the future, but today is a gift. That’s why it’s called the present.”

One day, I stare outside my window and see little children from my neighborhood monkeying around in the park. The next day, those children could be full grown adults, going on with their lives, and the playground left barren. In order to survive it’s new world, the playground is rebuilt into a garage. To simply put it, the world around us is always evolving, not one day like the other. That’s the impression I received when reading The Syntethic Sublime by Cynthia Ozick. “Often New York… means to impress the here-and-now…Gone is the cleaner and dryer; gone is the shoe-repair man. In their stead, a stylish boutique and a fancy-cookie shop.” (949). Ozick’s words reminded me of the park scenario described above. New York is a living creature; growing, expanding, changing to survive the needs of society, consuming, and producing. It is, as if, New York is evolving. What you would of found a 100 years ago, would barely be found in the city that is now. Is that a good thing? Yes and no, at least in my opinion. Yes because, as humans do, the city must adapt in order to thrive. However, this changing city wipes out the marks left by it’s past inhabitants. As Ozick put it, that shoe stand or bakery residing in the village, is now replaced by something more current. The mark of the past is forever wiped out. Does that mean when I pass, my mark on the world will be reduced to nearly a tombstone?

murp

Ozick also mentions in her essay, “Neighborhoods are sealed off from one another by the border police of habit and mindset and need and purpose.” (948). This reminded me of the various different neighborhoods that exist in New York alone. There is Chinatown, Harlem, Bowery, etc. All of these sections do have something in common, they are divided based upon race. Harlem, populated by Hispanics and African Americans, China Town by Asians, etc. One reason there seems to be a concentration of particular races in particular sections would be people feel more comfortable around the same culture they represent. However, aren’t we all from the same place? We all are New Yorkers and Americans. If someone is Hispanic, Asian or Caucasian, it really shouldn’t matter. We are all humans living in the same place, we should be able to integrate together. Hundreds of years ago it was understandable to be in your own “territory”. People “Fresh Off The Boat” needed to adapt to American life-style, and seem to have clumped together based upon race, as a support system for one another. Now its a hundred years later and we have grown as a society. We seem to be able to live with one another, as a whole. However, there is one thing the same about New York. Sections of the city are still populated primarily by a certain ethnicity. burp

Ozick also brings up a chilling, but candid thought that “In New York you cannot lose sight of the poor…” (953). Whether I’m on 24th and Park or 57th and Madison, the poor are everywhere. The homeless find the concrete sidewalks to be their beds, the trash as their supermarket, and the people as their income. Wherever I am, I am struck with the sight and I am deeply sadden. But what am I suppose to do? I give my spare change or food that I carry when I can, but there’s always so many homeless I come across. It makes me upset that there’s no way to escape the sight of poverty in New York. There’s so much one person can do.

durp

(I picked this picture to lighten up the mood a little)

Finally, when Ozick comments that “What old money brought into being, the new money… refurbished.” (955) it reminded me of The Great Gatsby. All I could picture was west and east egg, the valley of ashes, and that floozie Daisy. I wasn’t the biggest fans of the old money side, or even the new money side. However, there was one thing I got out of it. That old money can create things, but they can also destroy anything without a care in the world.

ur

In the end, the city is always changing. The things you see today will not be there tomorrow. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes. “Yesterday’s the past, tomorrow’s the future, but today is a gift. That’s why it’s called the present.” – Bil Keane.