Die Zauberflöte

Elements of both classical comedy and tragedy are incorporated into Die Zauberflöte. In classic comedy, characters go through a spiral of downfalls and rises in a comical way throughout the duration of the piece. Characters suffer from internal and external conflicts; however in the end, everything falls into place and happens as it should. For example, Tamino goes through a series of obstacles to meet Pamina and vice-versa. In the end, both of the protagonists find themselves and each other in a process that was intended to be comical. To me, the storyline wasn’t comical but just silly and naïve. The whole concept of two complete strangers becoming enamored with one another even though they know absolutely nothing about each other is just ludicrous to me. Another thing that I found ridiculous was the power of the bells Papageno possessed. Why would bells be able to hypnotize the slaves and Monostatos into obedience and sudden dancing … just why bells out of all things? I couldn’t help but imagine the boys doing a monkey dance in response to the sound of the bells, and my immediate response was: Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 12.18.09 AM

Tragedy is also incorporated into this opera; Pamina wanted to kill herself because she believed Tamino did not love her, and Tamino was willing to put his life on the line to meet Pamina. I know I may be taking this too seriously, but I just found it pathetic that Pamina was willing to take her own life just because she thought Tamino was not interested in her. She didn’t even know the guy and yet she was ready to take her own life… To me, it seemed as if Pamina represented the typical desperate girl that overthinks every encounter with a man – except in this case there was no encounter to overanalyze. Once again, my reaction was:

I couldn’t stop comparing this to your typical Disney fairytale or Pixar production while reading. Pamina reminded me of a damsel in distress locked away like Fiona; Tamino reminded me of Shrek; Papageno reminded me of Donkey; Papagena reminded of Dragon; the three fairies reminded me of the three fairies of Aurora; and the setting was synonymous with any fairytale. Overall, the Libretto was interesting to read and analyze, but unfortunately I cannot say I was too impressed…