1,000 Times Good Night

In Insatiably, She Leaps Into the Fray, Stephen Holden describes the plot of a new movie (1,000 Times Good Night) that opened on Friday. Juliette Binoche stars as Rebecca who is a war photographer.

1000 Times Good Night

Following the theme of my peers, I thought I would choose an article about an war artist. I stumbled upon this article about a war photographer who risks her own life just for the adrenaline and the story. Holden believes that in a way Rebecca’s work is a “form of atonement for good fortune that she feels she doesn’t deserve.” Her husband, played by Game of Thrones actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, finally decides to no longer put up with Rebecca’s dangerous job after she gets wounded on an undercover story about the Taliban. However, while on a trip with her daughter to a refugee camp in Kenya, Rebecca is unable to distance herself from a surprise attack on the camp. She submerges herself back into her work and passion.

720x405-A_Thousand_Times_Goodnight_1_Juliette_Binoche

It is refreshing to hear about movies that are not about your stereotypical and predictable damsel-in-distress helplessly waiting for the knight to “rescue” her. This movie ties in many different themes, such as sexism, family, and even self-conflicts. I plan on seeing it soon and hope that it lives up to my expectations.