Defining Art as a Lie is Far from the Truth

One of the first days of class we were asked to state what we consider the definition of art to be. Without a doubt I developed a more open minded approach to art since then. While this may be true, I still lack appreciation for the more unconventional forms of art.

Maybe this lack of appreciation of modern art is ignorance on my part because artists like Vincent Dubourg have great success with their art. Vincent Dubourg has a very peculiar art style, it involves a combination of chaos and organization based around a piece of furniture or other form of manufactured goods. In some works the line between organization and chaos is caused by a destructive force while in others the line is a representation of the division between civilization and nature.

Below are great examples comparing the two styles of Vincent Dubourg’s works:

tumblr_inline_mui2vn2rFz1r0fo8avincent-dubourg

Ymalta-seating-tree-maindownload (1)

When I look at these sculptures I don’t get a strong sense of amazement or awe, the works look very simple but Vincent Dubourg justifies his works saying that “the process may seem random but it is fully controlled”. The fact that every bent twig has a specific meaning, contributing to the major theme of defying nature but later successfully being consumed by it, adds to the poetic symbolism behind each piece.

Most of these sculptures are based on a form of poetic symbolism that is used to convey a certain message. In this case it is the cycle of creation, destruction, resilience and consumption that civilization has with nature. Because these works are built upon a foundation of truths it is hard to define art as a lie, especially since art is used as a form of expression.

The current abstract nature of modern art makes it almost impossible to predict what art will be like in the next decade or even the next century. Questioning the future of art is as futile as trying to define it. Maybe the best option is to just sit back and relax, after all what is art but the perspective of the viewer?