Faking It To the Top

As technology gets more advanced and exciting, museums become less popular in the 21st century. Many people do not value fine art, and are not stimulated by simply wandering the halls of a museum by day. Therefore, such institutions need to alter their marketing strategies in order to attract a larger and more diverse audience. The Marine Museum in Virginia has found a unique strategy for making citizens interested in their exhibition, which is explained in To Reel In Crowds, a Museum Is Showing a Fake Painting.

Having acquired 34 genuine paintings by a talented 19th century painter, James E. Buttersworth, this museum needed an intriguing method to attract visitors. Since this painter is not famous with subject matter that is not enthralling for a modern audience, the gallery needed a creative method for entertaining visitors. Then, the museum came up with a genius solution for the success of its new exhibition: add in a forged Buttersworth painting into the exhibition and have visitors figure out which one is the fake in an interactive game.buttersworth-banner(This is a real Buttersworth work. Check out the fake in the article linked above!)

This idea was magnificent, except that now the museum had to get involved with its greatest enemy, a forger. They received the forged painting from an unidentified source, painted by a professional forger of Buttersworth’s works, Ken Perenyi. This artist was honored to have his work displayed in the Mariners Museum. With the painting hung amidst real Buttersworth works, the exhibition successfully welcomed many visitors who learned about fine art without realizing it, as they journeyed through the rooms to find the single fake work.

I praise the museum for concocting such a creative strategy for making what sounds like a dull gallery into a game for all ages. Those who find the fake at the end of the exhibit are urged to keep it a secret for the rest of the visitors as they observe all 34 of Buttersworth’s paintings in order to find one by Perenyi. I believe that the Mariner’s Museum made a courageous choice in adding this forged piece to their show; moreover, I think this act is a great example for other museums that are dying in popularity to employ interactive features to their galleries. I would love to visit a museum in which I am not only learning about fine art, but also playing against fellow visitors in an exciting game.