Behind the Setting

This Friday, November 7th will be the opening for the upcoming movie “Big Hero 6.” Ever since I saw the trailer for this movie a few months ago, one of the main characters in the movie won my heart, Baymax. Baymax is an inflatable robot who was built by Hiro’s older brother. Hiro is the protagonist of the story and in the movie he attends a university called San Fransokyo Institute of Technology. Mekado Murphy wrote an article called Higher Learning in a Hybrid City, where he discusses the importance of the setting and all the work placed into it.

Big_Hero_6_film_poster

The movie takes place in a city that combines Tokyo and San Francisco, San Fransokyo. However, most of the story takes place more specifically on the college campus where Baymax was built, and where Hiro and his friends work on projects. The director Don Hall and the productions designer Paul Felix put in a lot of time in researching to create the perfect setting. They traveled to many universities to observe and take pictures of robotic labs and Hall noticed that in most of these labs, they all contained white boards and were cluttered to a certain extent. They made sure to incorporate all of this into Tadashi’s (Hiro’s brother) lab. Hall also mentioned that all of the little details in the lab are done for a specific reason, “There are a lot of historical things in there to make it look like he’s done a lot of trial and error to get Baymax where he is today.” The main robotics lab on campus (shown below) where Hiro and his friends work, is suppose to be “the most striking building on the university campus.” It was inspired by multiple things: a building that looks like a Transformer in Tokyo, Renzo Piano’s works, and a building from the MIT campus.

02MURPHY5-articleLarge

I think it is so amazing how much work goes into creating the perfect setting. Lots of people overlook the setting and it is under-appreciated many times.  It is amazing to think that beside the fact that characters usually have a background and history, so does the setting. Felix and his team stated that the history of the college dates back to the early 20th century and it incorporates Japanese architectural design with Stanfordesque Mission Revival architectural style. The design team also made sure that the setting is bright and cheerful to inspire Hiro, who was not to excited about attending this university. Now that I read this article about the setting, I will definitely appreciate the movie and its design more when I go see it. I cannot wait to see Baymax and the beautiful design of San Fransokyo Institute of Technology.