Dance: A Magnification of Societal Hardship

After reading The Revolution Will be Danced and Discussing the Undiscussable, the video of Bill T. Jones’ Still/Here made a great deal of sense and allowed me to appreciate the video even more. Personally, I really enjoyed Still/Here. At first, it seemed a bit over the top and a little hard to understand, but after a while, the dialogue in the song, as well as the dance moves, really symbolize what the topic of the song is about. After reading the articles, it was safe to say that Bill T. Jone’s performance represents the hardships that those with diseases such as AIDS and cancer face. Most people would look at the dance and have absolutely no clue what they’re doing. To be honest, I was a little confused at first, but I really saw what the dancers were trying to do and that contributed effectively to the main point of the speech.

The article, The Revolution Will be Danced, by Zita Allen, was more positive about the dance. She discusses the diversity that takes place in the dance crews and I really think it is phenomenal to build upon the diversity. At first, people are convinced that there is a social division in the art world. I really center around the whole concept of diversity and I really appreciate it. Diversity allows a person to become more versatile and appreciate the form of art much better because then they get a better perspective on how to improve their own personal works of art.

pic

Arlene Croce, author of Discussing the Undiscussable,really doesn’t seem like the biggest fan of Bill T. Jones’ video. She didn’t like the fact that it was too controversial and that it depicted a serious problem through dance. Readers soon understand that the video is about those who with HIV and other diseases that want to get better, but Croce feels that it is an incorrect way to show people the seriousness of these illnesses. She feels like it downplays the seriousness and that its not okay. However, I think dance is a such a great way to express your feelings about something.

During high school, I choreographed dances because I thoroughly enjoy dancing. Whenever I see people dancing, I try to understand the mood and tone of the video. Jones’ video really brought out the seriousness of the diseases that so many Americans have, and it really brings about sentimental value to the dance.

aI find the pulchritude in this picture to be really unique. It really allows me to understand how dances can tell a whole story and how it impacts people’s lives. Dance is becoming such a defined spectrum of judging pieces of art. Most imperatively, dance is a way to express yourself, and I think that it is probably one of the most important rules