Washington Heights has a wide variety of restaurants, shops, and stores that reflect the diversity and varying cultures of its inhabitants. Here a few examples.

La Cabaña Salvadoreña

It translates to “The Salvadorian Cabin” and it is just that. This quaint and modest family owned establishment opened in 1995 has become a staple of Washington Heights. Located on Broadway and West 187th St, La Cabaña Salvadoreña is as homey as it gets. Upon entering the restaurant you are greeted with several smiles and sweet salutations as you are guided to a table (which doesn’t take more  than a few steps). Their kind employees will help maneuver you through their menu of Salvadorian dishes and will surely suggest their pupusas or corn flour tortillas stuffed with your choice of combination of fillings such as cheese, beans, pork, chicken, zucchini, broccoli, or simply everything. This locally famous dish is served with delicious sauce that couldn’t compliment it better. Two of these bad boys will be sure to fill you up for no more than six dollars.

Pupusas

Sason y Mas

Located Broadway between 177th and 178th, this whole in the wall restaurant has the same dimensions of a subway car and does not even appear on google maps. When I went in for a visit and asked if I could order, the woman behind the counter explained she could not speak english. A kind man sitting next to me at the bar (because there was no room for tables) ordered for me, and got rice and chicken — a dish he referred to as “morro” — which was cooked with very tasty seasonings. When I asked for a drink famous in the Dominican Republic, the man ordered a Merengue soda for me. This meal, which was quite filling came out to total only $7.50.

IMG_0853 2 IMG_0854 2

All over Washington Heights one can find unassuming, small places like these where he can get a quick, tasty, and cheap bite to eat while at the same time experiencing the culture of the neighborhood.

Malecon

Located on the corner of 175th and Broadway, this pricier Dominican food restaurant attracts more than just locals. Inside can be seem Hispanic families, people wearing business attire, and upper-middle class people. This restaurant serves as a juxtaposition to smaller, more modest places such as Sason y Mas, but the quality of food and experience of the culture still does not disappoint.

IMG_0890 2

Fruit, fruit, and more fruit!

Walking around Washington Heights, one finds no shortage of fruit stands and shops. The stands sell the staples such as bananas, oranges and passion fruit, but one can find more exotic fruit at any of the places, such as plantains, yuca, and coconuts.IMG_0877 2

IMG_0878 2IMG_0879

A great example of a food store would be Banoa Meats — Fresh Fruits and Carniceria between 177th and 178th on Broadway. This little shack seemed to have everything. All the locals, young and old, seemed to come here. The cashiers greeted all the customers — an example of just how intimate and kind this community is. It was here that I ran into the man I met at Sason y Mas. His name was Duran, and recommended I buy yuca.

IMG_0880IMG_0883 2

Barber Shops Galore

Evrywhere you go in Washington Heights you can find Barber shops, and all of them full. At one on the corner of 159th and Broadway, I struck up conversation with an a barber outside his shop. His name was Manuel, he was from Ecuador, and had been living in the city for 30 years. He could not emphasize enough how glad he was to be living in America.

IMG_0876 2

Connections to Back Home

Also, throughout Washington Heights, one can find several places such as these, where the hard working residents of the Heights can send money back to their loved ones in the Domincan Republic in order to support them.

IMG_0888 2

Lottery Windows

Also throughout Washington Heights, there are several windows that one can appraoch and buy lottery tickets without even entering the store. Sason y Mas had one, and pictured below is one at a place called Mambi Steak House. When I asked Grecia Fermin why so many Domincans but lottery tickets, she exclaimed, “Because people hope!”