NCUR 2015

I had a great time at NCUR 2015 in Spokane, Washington. Although I find the organization hectic and the presentations confusing, overall, it went well.

For my presentation session, no one else showed up. Since I was in the first session to present, I had no idea what to expect. It all happened very suddenly. I entered the room and immediately loaded my powerpoint. I wanted to review my notes in the few minutes before, but I was too confused to concentrate. However, because the person who was supposed to present before me was not there, I felt the pressure lessen.  I had no one to be compared to.

The presentation went well. I added some new information at the last minute, but did not time myself beforehand, so I had to rush towards the end. But I still hit all of my main points. I was surprised that there were students who showed up specifically for my presentation. I was even more surprised when they were curious enough to ask questions and even talk to me privately after my presentation.

One thing that I did not expect was people leaving right after presentations. I understand that many want to make it to as many interesting presentations as possible, but it felt poorly done for a big group of people to leave during a session. If this was the intention of the university hosting the conference, they should have at least given time in between presentations for transitioning and circulation.

I had a good time supporting my peers in their research and meeting new people. Running from building to building was a bit tiring, but at least the weather was beautiful!

Outside of the actual conference itself, the trip was fun. We were able to explore downtown a little bit and eat big meals.

My advice to students attending NCUR next year:

• Spend that extra time preparing for your presentation beforehand. It will help you feel confident and less stressed out on the actual day.
  • The fellow students are generally friendly and welcoming. It is not competitive. You do not have to worry about comparing your work to the work of others.
  • A good question to be prepared for is: where do you see your research going?
  • Do not let any disorganization damper your experience. With a conference this huge, it’s practically inevitable. Just make do with what you have.
  • Do not read from your research paper. Speak loudly and enthusiastically. Have a clear structure for your presentation. State your thesis at the beginning. And be prepared to answer questions.