Syllabus

Course Description

This course will draw upon my educational journey, past and future, to create a project that will serve as the culmination of my past, but also a starting point for my future. I will learn how to effectively analyze texts and multimedia in order to create an all-encompassing and interactive format for my ideas. A major component will be to actively engage in the process rather than solely focusing on the “finished product” (the project). I will organize my collected material in a manner that is presentable to an audience. Some skills that may be acquired are the ability to improve from constructive criticism, to learn how to find research material in all kinds of form, and to practice making my knowledge accessible to people of different fields.

Weekly Reading List/Schedule

Aug. 29           Exploring potential ideas: notion of place and travel

Sept. 5             Public spaces and uses/events in NYC

Sept. 12          Public spaces and uses/events in Paris

Sept. 19          Reconstructing the city: basic elements of the cities that make each unique

What makes a city a city?

Sept. 23         City experience – comparisons between NYC & Paris

Architecture, public transportation, city planning, neighborhoods, art

Oct. 10            Histories of cities, specifically NYC & Paris

Oct. 17            Personal connections with “place” expressed through narratives

Oct. 24            Narratives: books (travel literature, stories of home) / online (blogs, photo essays)

Oct. 31            Narratives through media: photographic & video documentation (general)

Nov. 7              Photo documentation (in-depth)

Nov. 14           Video documentation (in-depth)

Nov. 21           Online interactive display of content: websites

How to effectively layout information to grab attention in the new modern technological age

Dec. 5               Role of maps in history & how important maps are today; kinds of maps

Dec. 12             Using a map to understand a city & to plot one’s experiences

Dec. 19             ???