Victory Parade

World_Series_trophy

Visual Diary:

On November 4th, 2009, the Yankees celebrated their 27 World Series Title on the streets of New York in order to thank their loyal fans. The parade began at 12 PM and ended with a ceremony at City Hall honoring the 2009 team with keys to the city at about 6 PM. The turnout of fans was estimated at over three million ranged widely in age, race, and class. The fans watched their Yankee idols ride floats down Broadway through a blizzard of ticker tape.

SDC10632

I was given the opportunity to watch the parade from the 15th floor of a Broadway skyscraper. My office prepared about ten garbage bags full of confetti and contributed to the whiteout.

SDC10625

Looking down, all I could see was different colors of paper. In a matter of minutes the color of the streets turned from black white. At times, I could peak through the shreds to see players like Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada.

SDC10630

The volume of the crowd was overwhelming. Lets go Yankees chants could be heard throughout the course of the parade. Sporadically, as players passed by, the crowd went into complete chaos.

news

The ceremony was covered by all of the major news networks on TV and radio. It ended with a declaration from Hank Steinbrenner, a Yankees part owner, “Well see you next year; same time, same place.”

Franco News Coverage: