Response To Week 5 Readings – Izabela Suster

As a member of the Crown Heights group, the “Brooklyn Tenants Battle Gentrification on Many Fronts” article by Ian Marsh was a worthwhile read. The article briefly introduced the reader to those associations and organizations working against gentrification in Crown Heights like Make the Road and the Urban Homesteading Assistance Board. Beyond these introductions, I found the article to be oddly specific and its short length makes it difficult for the uninformed reader to really understand the depth of the problem. To better understand the article, I would recommend the author include a brief bio of each politician mentioned, especially his/her stance and work on gentrification.

While reading the article, I noticed the techniques, used by landlords to harass Crown Heights tenants, are similar to those used in Barnsbury, London, a primary focus of “The Birth of Gentrification” article.

Question: Has “Make the Road” published any research on housing discrimination since the publication of the article?