Response to Week 6 Readings – Izabela Suster

Initially I expected PlanNYC’s “official statement” to be long multiple page PDF. Instead, I was disappointed by the brevity of the statement and it’s lack of substantive scientific data. The 2020 and 2050 projections listed, fail to place the problem of climate change in the present. The year 2050 is the year people reference when predicting that flying cars will be the norm. Lastly, despite being an official statement of an NYC organization, there is no mention of any agenda/policy the city has adopted with regards to climate change.

I absolutely LOVED Stephen Graham’s “Cities Under Siege: Katrina and the Politics of Metropolitan America”, primarily because I agree with the political tone of the piece. Secondly, Graham does an excellent job of laying out the political errors of the Bush administration prior to and in the aftermath of Katrina.

“Taking a Call for Climate Change to the Streets” by Lisa Foderaro lacks any real substance. The writer emphasizes the the size of the march via analogies and estimates made by a mathematician but she fails to present any scientific data or the demands of the marchers’.