Changing Climate Apathy

I remember the posters all over the subway for the People’s Climate March. They’re still hanging in certain trains. I know some Macaulay students showed up for it and they enjoyed themselves. I didn’t really pay attention to it that much other than noting that, while a significant number of people did make it out, it wasn’t quite the million they were advertising. But I guess that’s one of the pitfalls with climate change right now. People don’t take it quite as seriously as other issues because it’s hard to personally document and it doesn’t seem as pressing. A vague ‘somewhere around the latter half of the century there will be more rain and more heat waves’ doesn’t really resonate as much as ‘Iran has a nuclear weapons program and the country’s president has publicly declared that after they wipe Israel off the map their next target is America.’ The projections put out by PlaNYC are certainly bleak, and on the West Coast California is steadily getting hotter and drier, but public protests only do so much.

Question: Is climate change an important issue to you? What would you do to make people more aware and more interested in this topic?