On “New York for Sale”

In this article, the issue of displacement is discussed. The article describes displacement as a phenomenon that occurs when the area of residence becomes hazardous or otherwise unsuitable for living. I think it is important to define this upfront, because often, people without the means to move to other housing stay in an area that may not be safe for living. I am very glad the article brought up the issue of improving an area without displacing the current residents. Often, (and in many of the examples our class has seen so far), the renovation of an area calls for the removal of a large portion of the original residents. The beginning of the text discusses the efforts of grassroots movements, but it is also important to remember that change is needed in both top-down and bottom-up formats to maximize the success of any movement. Though it is important to have a bottom-up perspective in any attempt to change current norms, I believe the article brings up a good point that grass-roots movements have support bases in populations that may not be trained to work in the area they are trying to change. For this reason, it is also important to have some professional help, say from professional urban planners, to guide the movement.

Question/ issue: I find it interesting that the article states that it is a common myth that urban planning is neutral and has not part in the political arena. Maybe it is personal bias, (because other classes and this class, have focused on the inherently political nature of urban design) but I do not think this is a common misconception to anyone who would be reading this article.