Response to Week 9 Readings – Izabela Suster

“The Billionaires’ Park” by David Callahan read, very obviously, like an op-ed piece since the author’s argument, in my opinion, was a poor one. On the topic of parks philanthropy, I personally felt that the author diminished his argument when he juxtaposed Diller Island and Central Park with other parks falling into disrepair around the city. The disrepair of other parks is due to a lacking Parks department budget. It is only logical that wealthy donors choose the parks they wish to fund rather than financing the whole Parks department, a government agency (which would further blur the lines between the public and private sector).

“#OWS: The Party of Wall Street Meets its Nemesis” by Henry David begins with a damnation of the “Party of Wall St” delivered in with a religious tone. This religious tone develops into a strong military and war-like one as the author persuades the 99% to join Occupy Wall St in “another American revolution”. Personally, the language and tone of the article was too aggressive to instill my confidence in #OWS. Lastly, I think the article could have been more persuasive if it were combined with Cohen’s New York Times article that used statistics to put global economic inequality in perspective.