Response to Week 10 Readings – Izabela Suster

“Turnstile Jumpers and Broken Windows” by Tanya Erzen is quite a lengthy article, which led me to write this personal opinion heavy response. First and foremost, I found the term the term “visual disorder” to be an insensitive one because it’s used in a discussion the indecency of individuals, not of pornographic images. Secondly, I found hard to believe that everyday commuters were the ones to “demand a safer subway environment”, according to Kelling and Coles. I appreciated that the author points out questions not addressed in quality-of-life literature. The Quality of Life also appears to be riddled with ignorant arguments such as that made by Kelling who “emphasizes that  homelessness is not a result of structural issues like poverty or unemployment, but exists as a choice for many people”. Lastly, I am outraged not only by how the AVP is practiced but by the vague and complex legal wording as well. This point is illustrated well in the provision that states: “In the event of a member of the service, because of lack of experience, is unable to determine if the reason of the excessive noise emanating from a motorcycle is because of “straight pipes”, an Environmental Control Board Notice of Violation may still be issued”.