Bushwick Gentrification and Street Art

Based on this article: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/20/why-are-brooklyn-street-artists-so-obsessed-with-the-past.html

It’s very interesting to note that through all neighborhoods combatting gentrification, Bushwick chooses to do so through street art. In a way, using this method to bring attention to issues of gentrification is one of the most effective for the area. The current residents who are speaking out against gentrification are often artists of different sorts. As the article puts it, “Many of the works [of street art] fetishize the gritty ‘old Brooklyn’ and sense of ‘community’ that has been lost to gentrification” (Crocker). This makes me think that street art is, in fact, the best way for Bushwick to take back its identity. By uniting through street art, a sense of community is restored. Last year I went on a street art walking tour of Bushwick and the tour guide confided in me that he lived in Bushwick and was part of an underground coalition of street artists who helped one another out and often collaborated. In an odd way, art can help save this community.