Reading Response 12

I was appalled by this week’s readings. Never have been to LA and only being exposed to the glamorous side of the city on television, I had no idea that LA functioned in such a harsh way. As described in the reading, the city is divided into stark like life versus broadway chaos. This means that part of the city is rich and flourishing while the other part is dysfunctional. The reading stressed how the military and rich people strive to keep those two worlds separate. I was shocked at how they have attempted to isolate the poor and how cruel the city is to them. What stood out most was when the author described how the city replaced the seats at terminals with barrel like chairs and how the sprinklers were programmed to go off to scare away the homeless sleeping on park benches. Furthermore, restaurants made sure they were unable to go through the trash cans and the government eliminated most public bathrooms. Such isolation and cruelty broke my heart when reading this. In addition, this information is hidden since the area looks appealing on brochures.

How much regulation should be forced upon the homeless?