Bushwick Alternative Assignment

It’s definitely indisputable that the issue of gentrification is becoming more prevalent as the days go by. I love the last line of the article in which a concerned resident states that they do hear that Brooklyn is getting better, but then she asks for who? Because she’s definitely not witnessing the change. I feel like that is something many people can relate to. Many politicians claims that they are working in behalf of the community and that they are trying their best to get the rights to the people, but at the end of the day we don’t see much of that change/work they claim to be doing for the benefit of all. I do believe in the power of the masses and I think that if all of the residents of Brooklyn being affect by this issue come together to get their messages across, they can accomplish a lot. At least they will be able to avoid unbearable situations like the one Maria Najera had to go through. Living in a place without a leaky roof and/or dangerous conditions isn’t a luxury, it’s a right we should all have. They key factor while striving for a change is organization and being well-educated about the topic to be able to provide viable solutions for the city as well as the tenants. Nonetheless, it’s never useless to think about other alternatives to make a change, what else can be done?

Link: http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/37/43/dtg-rent-stabilization-law-anti-gentrification-rally-2014-10-24-bk_37_43.html