Music Posting Assignment: “New New York” by The Cranberries

As New York was healing from the wounds inflicted by the September 11th terror attacks, an Irish rock band that had toured across the world wrote a song about the brave spirit of the city they had come to love. “New New York” is a song written in June 2002 by The Cranberries. This song was released in September of the same year on their second compilation album, Stars: The Best of 1992-2002, as one of two new tracks. The Cranberries have written songs about sad personal events and social issues with much emotion and spirit. Like the songs before it, “New New York” is thoughtfully written and emotionally moving. Dolores O’ Riordan’s unique vocals and the musical talent of Mike Hogan, Noel Hogan, and Fergal Lawler blend together seamlessly to form this amazing song.

Saddened by the horror that people were capable of creating, the band wrote this song. This song focuses on the recovery after the terror attacks, addressing both healing and pain.  Reference is made to the scarred skyline and damaged streets of New York City following this tragedy:

New New York skyline, wounds they heal in time

Don’t crawl and don’t despair, it’s a new New York today

A-a-ah, a-a-ah

I look across these city streets, my heart is numb it still beats

Nothing to say-y, there’s nothing to say-y

I look across this empty room, my heart is still in bloom

There’s nothing to say-y, I only can pray-y

The song goes on to thank those who acted heroically that day, offering sympathy for those who lost family members:

Down on my knees and pray for the heroes of the day
And no comfort I can find for the loved ones left behind

The first reason I love this song, like any song by The Cranberries, is due to its sound. I enjoy the genre of rock, especially the ways they blend it with aspects of pop music, such as the repetition. I have always been impressed by Dolores O’ Riordan’s voice; out of all of the music I have listened to, I have never heard a voice quite like her’s. Her voice is high, yet dynamic and dramatic. This song also holds a lot of personal meaning for me. As a child, I often listened to The Cranberries. When the September 11th attacks happened, I was only a few blocks away; I saw it all and witnessed the aftermath. My family lost electricity and my school was displaced for over a year. In addition, my father, a firefighter, had been off work by a stroke of luck on that day. Unfortunately, many firefighters he was friends with were lost during the attacks. It was a deeply saddening and disheartening time. Hearing this song reminded me that there were still people out there that understood the pain and were supporting us. It truly did help to heal my spirit. With its amazing composition and powerful meaning, “New New York” still holds a special place in my heart.

Source: http://cranberriesworld.com/music/song-list-a-z/new-new-york/

1 ping

1. […] Music Posting Assignment: “New New York” by The Cranberries […]