Analysis of Erica’s self-portrait

For this blog post, I am writing about Erica’s self portrait. Erica’s self-portrait was unique, because it was the only one that had to be redone. Her first attempt showcased a power-point highlighting important things from her life, like her family, piano-playing and her baking. To complete her power-point, Erica had baked some cookies to give the class. While it was nice, it was on the boring side because there was nothing to actively engage the class. In comparison, in her redone self-portrait, Erica mimicked the very actions she takes when she bakes. Placing her tray in an imaginary oven, she took out her phone and set the timer for her treats. I found it interesting that before the portrait started, she decided to use her own phone because she said it allowed her to set the time with a precision down to the seconds. She  then goes to sit down in her chair, her laptop next to her and pages of homework on her lap. Her baking supplies are neatly arranged next to her laptop, showing her thoroughness and her commitment to what she is doing. Her Science Olympiad shirt and Einstein cradle show her passion for the sciences. As Erika continued to do her homework while she waited for the timer to hit 0, I liked the stillness that fell over the room, permeated by the periodic clicking of the Einstein’s cradle. It was rather calming watching her complete her work, thoroughly working through the problems with a slight furrow on her face. When she stumbled on a problem that stumped her, rather than skipping over it or simply asking someone for help, she decided to go online and do what she needed to do. It reinforced the idea that she’s thorough in whatever she does. As soon as the timer went off, Erica’s entire body relaxed. A small smile reached her lips, and it was almost as if there was nothing between her and her baking. Baking seemed to be her solace- her way of distressing after a long day.

Before taking the baked goods out of the oven, Erica took a toothpick to make sure they were properly done. Her smooth actions showed that she’s been baking for a long time and really understands the process.  She then takes out her tray, placing it on the table. I liked that she took a cupcake out and showed us the process of icing and placing sprinkles on it. Personally, when I think of baking I always imagine them coming out of the oven perfectly cut and glazed and just ready to eat.  People sometimes forget the hard work, effort and creativity that goes into cooking, so it was nice to be reminded of it. Finally, it was great that everyone in the class was able to taste some of Erica’s cooking- it allowed her to open up and show us a little bit of her world. I really liked Erica’s second attempt at her self portrait much more than her first one- it was much more intimate and interesting. The class was engaged, wondering what was in her covered tray, listening to the steady clicks of the Einstein cradle and simply just watching her be in her element.

Malavika Attur (Blog B)

This entry was posted in Blog A | Blog B. Bookmark the permalink.