As soon as the performance started, I found Sarah’s piece “The View From Nowhere” particularly interesting. The first thing I was intrigued by was the choice of costume. I understood the choice of blue and green shirts to represent the earth but I was unsure as to why she chose for the characters to wear jeans and sneakers. It gave the movements a very hard and industrial feeling. With the squeaking sneakers we were able to hear every movement the dancers made.

Throughout the performance it was extremely obvious that Sarah had paid very close attention to all of the small details. The lighting especially! The dancers cast shadows along the curtain in the black box theatre which was another performance in itself. As they ran around in a circle, at points it looked like they were standing right next to each other on the curtains. The light also gradually dimmed throughout the show or became more focused on the characters. Finally ending with a complete blackout.

As a dancer, I found the piece particularly interesting and was very impressed as to how Sarah combined science and dance. To see a students work come to life was very motivational and empowering to watch. As an undecided freshman it opened my eyes and made me realize that my education at Hunter College can really take me anywhere.