If I could use one word to describe this performance, it would be startling. This performance was not the typical smooth, in-sync, polished performances that we are used to; it was raw, harsh, intriguing and unsettling. There seemed to be two different performances in one–I found myself struggling to pay attention to both of the dancers at once. However, what made the performance most unique was the movement; the emotion visible in both the dancers’ faces and their frantic gestures were strong. There were some parts that genuinely startled me, especially when at some point, both the dancers slowed down, almost to a stop before one of them began screeching unintelligibly and throwing beach balls all across the room. The unpredictability of the performance amazed me; I was surprised that every single part was choreographed, especially since most of it seemed like spur-of-the-moment, passionate improv. It was this element that succeeded in keeping the audience constantly on edge and attentive throughout the lengthy performance.

Since the show was so complex, in both the message and movements, I found it a bit hard to interpret, and even harder to relate to the topic of the show: the overview effect. However, near the end, I did manage to find a connection when both the dancers were going around in circles, naming a number of countries before chanting “harmony.” For me, this part connected most with the overview effect, because it represented the thought process of someone experiencing it, seeing all these different nations as one, united and in harmony. It is amazing how they were able to incorporate a scientific phenomenon into an art form, especially since many of us never associate science with art. This performance truly helped showcase the more human and emotional side of science.