klein_boy_pointing_gun

William Klein

Broadway and 103rd Street, New York

1954-55

I was first drawn to the photo because of the expression on the older boy’s face. As I sifted through the images, I noticed that most of the people in the photographs carried neutral or solemn expressions–it was difficult to interpret their emotions immediately. Their expressions were much more subdued and subtle. So, when I came across this photo, my eyes immediately focused on the boy’s strange expression. It may be because it was the “loudest” expression I had come across, or maybe because I found the expression inherently familiar. It reminds me of a boy who is eternally playful, and sometimes getting carried away in the role he pretends to play. I was also drawn to how the photo included the boys surroundings, and more specifically, the second boy watching him, almost in adoration. But he also seems to be keeping the taller boy grounded in the way he places a hand on the older boy’s arm, as if to tame him. By including the surroundings, this photo narrates a story by depicting what the relationship between these two boys are like.

This photo stays true to the Rule of Thirds, as neither of the boys are centered in the picture, but at the upper left and right hand corners of the photo. This really helps in drawing the eye towards their faces, while keeping the picture much more balanced because not only are we getting a view of the boy’s expression, but their surroundings and what caused such expressions.Also, by placing the taller boy’s face in the upper left hand part of the photo, our eyes are definitely pulled off the center of the photo and towards the edge of the photo.

Klein also follows the rule of keeping vertical objects off the center of the photo. The gun, which would have dominated the photo if placed in the center, is instead placed a bit to the left. This gives way for the viewer to see not only the taller boy’s expression, but also where the shorter boy makes contact with the boy, which is important because it is telling of the two boys’ relationship. Additionally, Klein also follows the guidelines for pointing. Since the gun is an object that points, it is pointed into the photograph instead of out, which allows the viewer to focus on the photo and not out of the photo.

For my picture, I definitely want to follow the Rule of Thirds. Although I most likely will take a picture of a place, I still want to follow the rule where each space takes up the frame in thirds and not halves. This rule helps create more interesting photos, rather than the typical balanced photos, that capture many different parts of a scene while still allowing for a clear focus.

-Nureen Ahammed