I chose this picture for my Snapshot Day picture because it’s a beautiful scene that I unknowingly pass every day on the sky bridge. The sheer physical beauty of the scene is only a small part of why I chose this photograph to take. I happened to look to my left while walking to the library and found it overwhelming how far into the city you can see from the middle of the east side. For such a simple picture in a place where we pass by on a regular basis, I found the setting important in realizing how big New York City is. It is a humbling experience to be seemingly dwarfed by scenery that is part of your every day life, especially if your life was not previously comprised of such a big place.

I chose to center the picture the way I did in an attempt to go by the “Rule of Thirds”. I tried to align the beginning edges of the buildings with the third points of the frame . Something else that actively tried to include in the picture is space for the moving parts to “move into”. It doesn’t look the people crossing the street are going to run out of walking room, which would make the scene appear more stagnant. I made sure to do the same with the cars. Despite being truly stagnant at the red light, the room in the picture makes the picture appear more dynamic. The picture is easier to look at when it is oriented properly but it won’t insert into the website, which can take away from the purpose.

Glenn Collaku