professor uchizono

Turandot Opera Response

I have never had the chance to attend an opera before, which is why I didn’t know what to really expect as I walked into the Met Opera House on Thursday. I just knew about the background of the performance from what Alexandra told us the day before. As I took a seat and waited for the performance to start, I couldn’t wait to see what was in store for the next few hours.

As the curtains opened, I was amazed by the set. It was very detailed and grandiose just like Alexandra told us it was going to be. The costumes of the characters were all impressive and very beautiful. They definitely did go all out in the presentation portion of the show. Everybody was clapping and with every reason to do so. I like the fact that this performance was different from all the other performances that we have attended. The music was very appealing and the singing was also great.

Apart from all the costumes and amazing sets, the music was also my favorite part. I think the music evoked and highlighted a lot of emotions. The music never failed to fit with what was going on in the plot. The orchestra did a great job in making sure the music fit the mood of the performance. I remember Alexandra telling us that in an Opera the music was an integral part and without it there would be something missing. I can definitely see why she said this. Without the music, there would be a loss of emotions. The music helps the audience to feel what can’t be felt just from the singing portion of the opera.

All of the characters did a good job with their parts, but without a doubt the character that stood out was Liu. The person playing Liu definitely embodied her character and portrayed it well. The scene in the third act where she killed herself was my favorite. As a member of the audience, I felt the emotions she was trying to convey and I think that she was dramatic but to a good extent. The performers playing Turandot and Calaf were also good, but i think that they were too simple and could have developed their characters more, like Liu, in the performance.

Overall, I enjoyed the performance and it is my favorite from all the performances we have watched before. The sets were amazing and with the music, singing, and costumes, it all came together to make a great show for everybody to watch.

1. monicahuzinec

Just like Karla, it was also my first time attending to Opera. I had no idea what to expect and was excited to get dressed up and arrive at the Metropolitan Opera House. I was completely amazed before I even stepped into the majestic opera house. I was immediately greeted by a huge fountain that we all took pictures by. For one night, us college kids, were at an elite event and excited to be there. Most of us didn’t know what to expect and I believe it was this amount of anticipation that made the event exciting for all of us. Upon walking into the Opera House I was in awe at the giant chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and the red velvet covering absolutely every inch from the floor to the walls. From the level of our seats, we all looked down at the people eating as we all wished we could be one of them enjoying a fancy meal overlooking a beautiful view of Lincoln Center.

To be completely honest, based on what I had heard from my friends in other seminar classes, I really thought the Opera was going to turn into a 3 hour nap. I thought the lack of english language and relaxing music would put me to sleep. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw subtitles! And was proud of myself for staying awake for the entire show! I was able to understand the story line as I followed along with the subtitles!

As the curtains rose I was amazed by the large cast and intricate set. It reminded me of the beginning of the musical Les Miserables. The crowds of people, the loud chorus in unison, and the synchronized choreography excited me. I was on the edge of my seat trying to see every possible thing. The music told the story of the princess and the demise of her suitors. As each new set appeared when the curtain came up after intermissions I became more enchanted. My jaw dropped as I was face to face with the all white and gold set in the second act. I was blinded by the bright colors in the princess’ castle that juxtaposed the previous dark and sad village set in Act 1. When the princess finally emerged from the side, her dress sparkled and she radiated as she walked towards the center. You couldn’t help but solely fixate on her.

The only criticism I had was not in the baseline of the plot (like others have mentioned) but in the way the story was told. I felt as if there were parts that were extremely drawn out and repetitive. I don’t believe it was necessary to repeat phrases or reiterate them in four different ways to get the message across. Maybe it was to draw out the opera for the full three hours of music, set design, and costumes. I’m not sure.

What I did find refreshing within the opera was the mix of genres. There was a bit of everything within the story line. The drama of the princess’ riddle was mixed with action as well as even the comic relief of Ping, Pang, and Pong. I really enjoyed these three characters as well as their scene when they prepared for either a wedding or a funeral for the prospective suitor.

Nonetheless though, I did enjoy the overall performance. It was really nice to see a different art form present in New York City for once. Between the intricate costumes, elaborate sets, powerful voices, and enchanting orchestra it was an amazing experience.

2. glenncollaku

I strongly agree with Karla’s ideas concerning the opera. I was thoroughly pleased with how the performance went and with the atmosphere of the opera. I also had never been to an opera before and I was excited to see what was in store, since Alexandra had set my hopes high. Alexandra explained to us multiple times that Turandot was one of her favorite operas, so I was in high hopes. I was a little underwhelmed in the first act, partially because I wasn’t exactly sure how the show was supposed to be. After the first act, I got into the hang of the performance and was able to more effectively appreciate the opera.
    I enjoyed the way the sets were built, and how they seemed to show a full setting despite being one a small stage. There seemed to be a great deal of depth in the settings that made the stage seem more of a snapshot into a real place as opposed to a simple depiction. I found it very impressive how the singers were able to manipulate their voices in the ways they did. The little inflections in their voices told a story by themselves.
    One part of the show that I wasn’t very fond of was the whole elaboration on certain parts that I felt did not help the story much. There seemed to be parts of the opera that were overly dramatic despite seeming insignificant in the grand scheme of the show.
    Dressing up for the show was a part of the experience that made the atmosphere that much better. It was a good feeling to take a night out and enjoy a few hours while being cut off from electronics. The entire night was a good experience and I plan on seeing another opera should the opportunity present itself to me in the future.

Glenn Collaku