9/8 Assignment

This is Hassam’s “Lower Fifth”, painted in 1890

This is the current day picture. I took this picture at the intersection of Fifth Ave. and East 13th. The main buildings are the First Presbyterian Church and the Church of Ascension. I think the most noticeable and probably only similarity are the corners of the rectangular structure. The size of the pedestrian in my picture is a little bit larger than that of his painting, however it can be explained by the fact that the person in my picture was closer to 13th street than the people in his painting. Also, I believe that the vanishing points are in the same location on both paintings/pictures. Although it is more clear in my picture, I believe that the vanishing point is the middle towards the left side. Despite the changes in the scenery, such as the building behind the main structure and the street signs I believe the way the church is silhouetted against the sky is similar in both pictures and the direction of the buildings are the same which leads me to the conclusion that I have located the spot where Hassam stood 120 years back in 1890 when he painted this picture.

This entry was posted in 9/8 Assignment. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to 9/8 Assignment

1. oweinroth says:

Well done. You seem to have found the right lighting and cloud formation.