9/8 Assignment

As shown above, I picked the Washington Arch, Spring painting of 1890. There are many differences in the pictures. For one, the trees in the original painting are unavailable. However, because of the trees you can tell that the vanishing point is the bottom right corner of the arch. The vanishing point heads diagonally from the bottom left corner of the entire painting. However, the arch is in frontal view. At first, I thought the picture should be taken from the left side of the arch but then i realized that something wasn’t right. So I realized that because the arch is in a frontal position but the vanishing point was coming from the left, the painting must’ve been drawn from the right side of the arch.
Also, because of the difference in weather (I’m assuming the original painting was done in the summer or at least a warmer/brighter day) the shadows aren’t portrayed in my picture. Since the shadows are coming from the left, it must’ve been mid-afternoon when the painting was drawn. Also, the top of the arch is horizontally parallel so I felt like if I took the picture at more of a higher level it would look more similar to the position of the painting.
Overall, it was an interesting experience to be able to actually find the location a painting hundreds of years old and still be able to see the similarity as well as the differences. It was interesting but difficult to try to capture the right lighting and position.

This entry was posted in 9/8 Assignment. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to 9/8 Assignment

1. oweinroth says:

The Hassam painting is of a frontal take of the arch. There are no shadows inside the arch. Since you took a photograph from the right angle, you have the inner making of the arch showing. However you did get the human to architecture proportion as in the painting. Nice post.