9/15 assignment

To me, whether or not music is a form of language is dependent on how you define a language. In my definition of the word “language,” I would count music as a form of language. It is a way of communication. I believe that while it is not necessary, most music or songs are created to convey a certain emotion or an idea. Beats and sounds are there to help convey the meaning. This occurs with the spoken language as well. The tone of a person’s voice during a conversation is one of the most obvious and important ways of conveying the underlining intent of the words. However this does not mean that most people will respond to certain music in the same way. This is based on the way emotions can be triggered. Certain personal experiences may alter the way we experience certain things which can trigger different emotions due to how we feel about the experiences. Same with language. In studies it has been show that depressed people tend to give more depressed answers to neutral questions. So the way we experience language and music is not very different and therefore I feel music is really a form of language.

This entry was posted in 9/15 Assignment. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to 9/15 assignment

1. oweinroth says:

Music is a form of expression, it can express emotions. A language can express emotions as well, Music has some simbolic stracture, but is unable to express any ideas that are outside the relm of emotions. Like Non verbal communication it can facilitate language (singing a song). There are languages that use signs for words such as Deaf sign language, or some native american languages.