World Youth Alliance Review

It was a nice fall afternoon perfect for shorts as we walked into St. Vincent Ferrer on 66th street. I wasn’t exactly happy with the idea of what I thought would be a waste of a nice afternoon by listening to a group of ten to seventeen year olds play Bach and Vivandi. It wasn’t that I dislike classical music. Having been in school bands, I simply thought there really wasn’t much to see. The performance was by the Chamber Orchestra of the World Youth Alliance, an international organization that serves to spread awareness about human rights among the youth.

While I knew the orchestra did have someone knowledgeable as leader. Ms. Alexis Kende, who is also a talented violinist herself, having played the violin since the age of three, I had doubts because of the age of the performers. In my mind I simply found the image of a ten year old playing a cello twice his size more comical than serious. I was also disappointed at what I perceived to be the experience of the group, which only gave its debut performance a week or so prior. I was almost certain that the performance would have a lot of missed notes considering the lack of experience performing as a group.

As I read through the fliers detailing the history of the members, I was quite surprised at their talent. These musicians are not the average aspiring musicians playing wrong notes in the basement. The group had some truly accomplished members amongst its ranks. Some have performed at the United Nations for Pope Benedict while others have performed multiple solos at Lincoln Center.

I was eager to see if this was all true as Ms. Kende began to introduce herself and the group. Several musicians came to the stands in front of the pews and tuned their instruments. I noticed that was no conductor and so I held my breath wondering how the group would synchronize and stay on the beat.

A nod between the front most artists was the signal to start. As soon as a measure was finished, my fear of disappointment was evaporated. Notes were properly accented, and even without a conductor the group managed to keep the beat. There was an occasional look and motion between the different soloists, but the concentration never wavered. It is a unique experience to see such concentration, but they also managed to get one important thing as an orchestra right, which is to sound as though each group is one instrument. While I did hear one wrong note during Bach’s piece, there was no sour note that ruined any part of the performance for me. However, I think one of the biggest things to take away from listening to this group is that it is a truly inspiring event to witness what can be accomplished if someone put their body and soul to something a person enjoys. Ten year olds are able to play Bach with the correct rhythm, accents, and remain on the beat with the rest of the group. However, their accomplishments are only because of the massive dedication and maturity these young musicians decided to take. It is something that children and teens that watch their performance can take away with. After attending the concert, I am certain that one day they will be one the big screen or traveling with any of the world famous orchestras, such as New York Philharmonic. The experience from their concerts is one not to be missed.

As I read through the fliers detailing the history of the members, I was quite surprised at their talent. These musicians are not the average aspiring musicians playing wrong notes in the basement. Each musical prodigy was there that day for a reason and the group had some truly accomplished members amongst its ranks. Some have performed at the United Nations for Pope Benedict while others have performed multiple solos at Lincoln Center.

A nod between the front most artists was the signal to start. As soon as a measure was finished, my fear of disappointment was evaporated. Notes were properly accented, and even without a conductor the group managed to keep the beat. There was an occasional look and motion between the different instrumental soloists, but the concentration never wavered. It is a unique experience to see such concentration, but they also managed to get one important thing as an orchestra right, which is to sound as though each group is one instrument. While I did hear one wrong note during Bach’s piece, there was no sour note that ruined any part of the performance for me. However, I think one of the biggest things to take away from listening to this group is that it is a truly inspiring event to witness what can be accomplished if someone put their body and soul to something a person enjoys. Ten year olds are able to play Bach with the correct rhythm, accents, and remain on the beat with the rest of the group. However, their accomplishments are only because of the massive dedication and maturity these young musicians decided to take. It is something that children and teens that watch their performance can take away with. After attending the concert, I am certain that one day they will be one the big screen or traveling with any of the world famous orchestras, such as New York Philharmonic. The experience from their concerts is one not to be missed.

Yet, when I read the pamphlets that were given out, my idea of the event changed. These musicians are not the average aspiring musicians playing wrong notes in the basement.   Each musical prodigy was here that day for a reason. From performing at the United Nations for Pope Benedict to solos at Lincoln Center, these musicians have devoted their short lives towards the musical arts. Their dedication towards their work at such a young age is something that everyone can be inspired by. What was most unique about the group isn’t their age, but their diverse interests and talents. For example, one particular viola player enjoyed modeling and acting as well. This adds a more human side to what seemed to be unreal talent that was present in that room and it is this quality that makes the group so memorable.

Of course critiquing the actual performance was still the main reason we were there. The program had great pieces, including those by Bach and Vivandi and also a new piece from Jay Greenberg, an international composer who is only eighteen. As the young musicians came to the front of the room, including the ten-year-old cellist who was dwarfed by his cello, we were eager to see if the talent that was presented on the paper was true. I noticed that was no conductor and so I held my breath wondering how they would synchronize everyone’s beat.

The first note flowed, then a measure was finished. Everything seemed as how it should be. Notes were properly accented, and even without a conductor there seemed to be no slowing down as the measures progressed. There was an occasional look and motion between the soloist, but the Zen-like dedication that appeared on these young faces never gave away. Music meant so much to them and it is a unique experience to see such concentration. Without a doubt, the group had plenty of talent, but I also saw how much music means to each person and the dedication they have put to have reached this far. It is truly an inspiring thing to witness what can be accomplished if someone put their body and soul to something they really enjoy. While I did hear one wrong note during Bach’s piece, there was no sour note that ruined any part of the performance for me. After attending the concert, I am certain that one day they will be one the big screen or traveling with any of the world famous orchestras, such as New York Philharmonic. The experience from their concerts is one not to be missed.

The first note flowed, then a measure was finished. Everything seemed as how it should be. Notes were properly accented, and even without a conductor there seemed to be no slowing down as the measures progressed. There was an occasional look and motion between the soloist, but the Zen-like dedication that appeared on these young faces never gave away. Music meant so much to them and it is a unique experience to see such concentration. Without a doubt, the group had plenty of talent, but I also saw how much music means to each person and the dedication they have put to have reached this far. It is truly an inspiring thing to witness what can be accomplished if someone put their body and soul to something they really enjoy. While I did hear one wrong note during Bach’s piece, there was no sour note that ruined any part of the performance for me. After attending the concert, I am certain that one day they will be one the big screen or traveling with any of the world famous orchestras, such as New York Philharmonic. The experience from the World Youth Alliance Chamber Orchestra concerts is one that shouldn’t be missed.

This entry was posted in 9/19 Assignment, Reviews. Bookmark the permalink.