Assignment 9/19 Review: World Youth Alliance Orchestra

I was never schooled in classical music, and I know nothing about movements, concerti, symphonies, or orchestras in general. But I do appreciate talent and dedication when I see, or in this case hear, it.

First of all, the World Youth Alliance is impressive in and of itself. It seems like a small operation, smaller than one would expect for a multinational organization, but its mission is truly admirable. I think that it’s goal of uniting the youth around the world through its different programs is a wonderful way to foster camaraderie, a sense of collective humanity, and appreciation for one other.

Second of all, the vision that Alexis Kende has of using music to bring about that unity is truly an inspired thought. Not only is it resourceful (she told us herself that she thought of the orchestra because it was one thing she knew how to coach), but it is also a wonderful opportunity for the budding artists to share their talents for a good cause.

Finally, the talent that the musicians displayed was truly awe-inspiring for me. I would have been much less impressed (but still quite impressed, regardless) if it were an orchestra of seasoned, more mature musicians. But these were children younger than I am! It’s unbelievable! When I read the mini-bios beside their pictures and saw that most of them started at age 3, I thought back, “When I was three, I was learning my ABCs and nothing much else…” I couldn’t even find it in me to feel ashamed of myself because they were just so inspiring. Seeing talent like that made me realize that there are so many dedicated kids, parents, and teachers out there who willingly spend hours driving to lessons, practicing pieces, scaling, studying, and practicing some more. Talent is nothing without dedication, and those performers surely have a healthy dose of both. I admire their talent, the gravity with which they approach their craft, and the promise of greater things to come. I look forward to seeing both WYA and the orchestras reach new milestones for their respective missions.

Like I said before, I am not musically trained in any discipline, but I do appreciate the beauty of music at a spectator level.  This was my first time at an orchestra performance, and I was blown away.  First, I didn’t expect it to be so loud! When the first Bach piece was played, I wondered where all that sound came from. There were so many layers of sound, from soaring high notes to rumbling low notes, to notes I didn’t even know where to process in my brain. I loved just letting the music crowd in my head; I didn’t even attempt to analyze it after the Greenberg piece. The Greenberg piece was my favorite because of it’s lower register, and how the violas seemed to strain for the higher notes. While it sounded heavier than the Vivaldi to my ear, I preferred the Greenberg. The Tchaikovsky finale was fitting, and I could see just how dedicated the young musicians were. Already, you can see the World Youth Alliance’s mission of unity in their faces when they watch each other for cues, when they listen for their parts, and when they all end each piece with the synchronized raising of their bows. It was a sight to behold, a delight to hear, and an experience worth repeating.

This entry was posted in 9/19 Assignment, Reviews. Bookmark the permalink.