10/3-10/4 Assignment

The focus of art has changed over the years in that it may have been more focused on story telling during the stone age where pictures were carved into the stone walls to mere replication during the Renaissance, while adding components of science and mathematics. In the 21st century however, society has become more lenient with how art is defined. I think one of the biggest influences is graffiti art. The idea that all artists had to have a proper education might has changed before graffiti, but I think graffiti is the clearest example that an education was not required to produce artwork. It can be argued that the 21st century is marked by an era of vast change. What defines a 21st century artist is merely someone who inspires others. Even though it wasn’t in the 21st century, there were photographers (to me, they are considered artists) who revealed the atrocities of the Holocaust and the Vietnam War. Even before that, there were artists that help bring into perspective the extremely high toll paid by the lower class during the Industrial Revolution. Although this is for the 20th century, I think the focus of art is the same. Inspiration.

Going off what I mentioned before, about the increase in leniency about artists, I think that especially in New York City has created the idea that art doesn’t necessarily have to be created by those who are educated. There was a major shift of art from the upper class towards the middle and lower class. Historically speaking, even up until the time of the Industrial Revolution, art was for the upper class citizens. The poor did not have the money or time to create art, and thus, only the rich who had the luxury of both, picked up some form of art. However, only around the turn of the century was there a shift of art from the upper class to the lower class. Also, due to newer inventions, the mediums in which people could use to express their ideas increased. In the end of the day, a 21st century artist is someone who uses any medium to express his/her ideas to inspire the populous.

This entry was posted in 10/3 and 10/4 Assignment. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to 10/3-10/4 Assignment

1. oweinroth says:

“mere replication during the Renaissance”
    Not replication, but the visual recreation and investigation of natural phenomena which utilized their knowledge of the sciences.
    A replica is a copy of an original like a plastic replica of the statue of Liberty, or a poster of a Van Gogh painting.

“In the end of the day”
    “about the increase in leniency about artist” English? If you can, try and avoid cliches and colloquial language, it confuses the reader.