I think that technology becomes an art when the photographer ceases to take “snapshots” and uses his or her vision accompanied with an artistic process to create a photograph that isn’t simply a copy of something they see but that is something they see that they give meaning to. When I first looked at Eugene Atget’s pictures of the sculpture at Versailles I wasn’t particularly interested. I thought that many of them simply seemed to be a document of the various statues at Versailles but incorporated very little otherwise. However in some of his pictures he showed the statue from an angle that created incredible compositions and often juxtaposing the statues themselves and the vast beautiful landscapes at Versailles. One of my favorite pictures from the exhibit we saw at the Moma was the one where there was a statue o a woman with a bow and arrow in the foreground and a man walking away from the statue in the background. The artist aligned the two objects of the photo in such a way that it appeared as if the statue could at any second release her grasp on the bow string and shoot the man in the back. The photograph gave such an incredible sense of life to the statue that I stood and stared at for quite a while. In short I think that photography like all technology has the potential to be used to create art!

About colinhorn

America is becoming so educated that ignorance will be a novelty. I will belong to the select few.
This entry was posted in 10/6 Assignment. Bookmark the permalink.